Friday, May 24, 2013

Life, sweet

This morning

I write this blog post from the porch of a beach house in Lobo, Batangas, the southern tip of the island of Luzon. As I type away, my boys are on the beach, basking in the sun. The girls are sitting around on the wooden benches, chilling out. Justin Timberlake's voice blares from the speaker we brought from home.

I am supposed to be writing my column for tomorrow from this privileged spot, but that can wait. I want to capture the moment.

This has been, by far, the sweetest vacation that my kids and I have taken. I would not have been able to do this without the help of two people -- one, to the lady who extended a warm invitation to her house, and two, to the gentleman who made sure we had a safe and smooth van ride to this place.

Yesterday we rode a kayak and a rubber boat, and today we hired a banca that took us around for an hour. In between, we've been swimming, hanging out, eating food prepared by the courteous staff. Yesterday I went to the market; the novelty of buying and having somebody carry my purchased goods took a while to get used to. I was also not used to articulating what I wanted to eat and having it materialize on the table. The only thing we had to do was to walk to the big dining table.

I am happy I was able to give the kids this experience, this memory.

We go back to the city tonight and we face the challenge of a new school year, among others. It's really just us now, and it's really solely up to me. What a daunting task, and I am terrified if I can do it, but I think we'll be fine.

I would not have it any other way.

No comments: